I just took a look at the blog and realized that I haven’t updated in over a week. I couldn’t help but wince, because keeping regular updates is important to me. Miss a week of updates, and it’s really easy for me to let that slide further, so I try not to let that happen. For this update, I’m going to talk about some of the things that have taken up my mental space this week instead of blogging.
1. Wedding Pans- This is a biggie. Every day I have to worry about buying the right shoes (which, if you’re looking for a pair of size 6 dress shoes with a sensible heel in February, is ANY pair of size six dress shoes with a sensible heel), finding gifts for the bridesmaids, finding a time when we can apply for our marriage licence, scheduling a fitting (hopefully, I haven’t gotten too fat), buying center pierces and favors, figuring out flowers, finding music for the ceremony, buying a cake, compiling RSVPs, and figuring out a million other little details. Seriously, I dedicate time to this every day. It’s eating into my reading time, which makes me grumpy. When it eats into my writing time (as it did on Monday) I get pissed. It’s also dug into my cleaning time, which I don’t notice until I realize how long it’s been since I’ve swept…
2. Writing– So you know when you’re working on that first draft and have to tell that internal editor to piss off? Well, eventually you need to deal with the consequences of that. This happened to me today with a VERY problematic scene. I spent three hours on writing (not just on that scene but mostly) today, and I’m SO glad I did. It’s much better now.
3. Awesome podcast- Podcasts and audiobooks are great because my commute is about 45 minutes, giving me plenty of listening time. I recenting discovered Hello Internet, which is a new podcast put out by youtubers CGP Grey and Brady Haran. As an informational professional I found the first two episodes (on being wrong on the internet and copyright) to be immensely interesting, and all three are must listens for any fans of CGP Grey’s work.
4. Shadowplay- This is the sequel to Pantomime by Laura Lam (you can win a copy of either book at my giveaway here), and I wish I had more time to read it. I’m about 250 pages in and am enjoying it quite a bit.
5. Chocolate– No, not the edible kind, it’s a song! I’m a pretty big fan of Japanese music. My most recent love is the song Chocolate by Leo Ieiri. It just has such a sweet and wistful air to it. I listen to it whenever I’m stressed, and it really helps to calm me down. The video above is just a sample, but is IS available on itunes (which isn’t always the case with jpop)!
So that’s what’s been on my mind lately! Hope everyone has a fabulous Valentine’s day tomorrow.