At the moment, there is a kickstarter up for the second volume of Erstwhile, a fantasy web comic featuring work by Elle Skinner, Louisa Roy, and Gina Biggs. As you might be able to tell from the “second volume” comment, a first volume has already been funded and released through kickstarter. It was a really nice product, a handsome hardcover featuring fantastic fairy tales and really solid artwork. As a result, once I saw the kickstarter for the second volume, I knew that I had to support it. The project has a ways to go in the 27 days it has left, so I thought I would make a post highlighting the project, just in case interested parties are unaware of its existence. So here are five reasons why you might want to support this crowd funded project.
1. You want to support women in comics– The vast majority of the comics I see are written by dudes. Ladies seem to be doing better on the art side of things, but the gap still exists. Help level the playing field a little by supporting a project filled with vibrant, high quality artwork and solid writing that covers a wide variety of topics and tones.
2. You enjoy lesser known fairy tales, and want to see them get more love– Do you wish stories like “Brother and Sister,” “Snow White and Rose Red” and “The Twelve Dancing Princesses” were just as popular as “Beauty and the Beast” and “Rapunzel?” Then you’ll be happy to see that all three of these stories are featured in the collection, along with “Iron Hans,” “The Death of the Little Red Hen,” and “Doctor Know-It All.” I’ve discovered some great fairy tales though Erstwhile myself, and know others have done the same.
3. You’re a sucker for a good love story- Although not all of the stories have a romantic focus, some of them do, and they’re all quite one done. If you’d like to see the results, I’d recommend checking out “Brother and Sister,” which can be found in it’s entity online.
4. You prefer to get your kickstarter rewards more or less on time, not six months late– This will be the third kickstarter run by Gina Biggs. One of the things that impressed me the most about the last one was the fact that the estimated delivery date for the rewards wasn’t that far off. The rewards were supposed to be shipped in July, and I got mine at the beginning of August. After supporting several kickstarters when the perks could be anywhere from six months to over a year overdue, it’s nice to see one that can actually deliver what they promise. Gina is also good at keeping people updated on when everything is being shipped out, so you have a pretty good idea when to expect your reward to show up in your mailbox.
5. You missed out on the first kickstarter– Does this all sound great, but you missed out on volume 1? Don’t worry, there are several pledge levels which include both vol 1 and 2, and they’re pretty reasonably priced for hardcovers.
I hope this will convince you to support Erstwhile. I’m a real fairy tale nut, making it my favorite webcomic on the web these days. I would love to get my hands on the second anthology, but can only do so if it gets funded. Help make this project a reality!