With Thanksgiving tomorrow, we’ve entered the time of the year that we’re supposed to think about what we’re thankful for. But in truth, I feel like we spend more time worrying about getting the turkey done on time, or trying to juggle multiple holiday dinners. While these things are surely worth your mental energy, it can detract from the main purpose of the day. So to get myself in right mood, I’d thought I’d make a list of a few of the things I’m thankful for.
1. Loved Ones- I have some seriously awesome people in my life right now. From my fiance, to family members, or good friends, I feel like there are plenty of people in my life right now that enrich it, rather then detract from it. And that makes me really lucky.
2. My Cat- You see that adorable little face? How can you not love that? Saturday, November 30th will mark the one year anniversary that we’ve had Coraline with us. She’s my first cat, and the first real pet I’ve had since I was a kid. Now, I can’t picture living without one, she’s become such an important part of our daily lives.
3. Employment- I don’t talk too much about my job here. For one thing, it feels unprofessional, even if I’m talking about the good stuff. Secondly, I work a lot with the public, and talking about patrons on my blog could cross an ethical line. Regardless, as someone who went a few months without a job, it feels really good to have income coming in at predictable intervals. Not to mention it feels good to have that income coming from a job that doesn’t make me want to slit my wrists on a regular basis. Not everyone has that.
4. NaNoWriMo– So far, this year has been a big success. I’m still not done with LD3 (but I’ve won NaNo. As of writing this entry, I’ve crossed the 60k line), and I know I’ll have a lot of work left to do once I am, but I absolutely love this challenge and the enthusiastic community of writers that comes along with it.
5. Inter-Library Loans- I love buying comics, but those things add up quicker than you’d think. To keep me from breaking the bank, I’ve gotten over twenty graphic novels through inter library loan this year, along with a handful more audiobooks and print books. If you’re a heavy reader with tastes that don’t always skew towards the mainstream, ILLs are your best friend.
6. Audible– Like pretty much every reader, I know that there are WAY too many books for me to read that I have time for. Audiobooks make my 45-minute commute bearable, and the sales they have over at audible make my addiction affordable.
7. Goodreads– Because without it, keeping track of what I have and want to read would be really difficult.
From serious to silly, what are some of the things you are thankful for?